Before you can take advantage of the endless possibilities of setting up an Etsy shop, you need to complete a few tasks. Overall, it only takes a couple of minutes to establish an account on Etsy. Best of all – this part of the process is completely free. More information about setting up an Etsy shop are found below:
Register an Etsy Account
Completing the free registration for an account marks the first step towards selling on Etsy. On the main website, simply click the “register” link located at the top left. Registration will ask for a valid email address, unique username, and password of at least six characters. Sellers must also have a credit card ready for verification purposes.
Choosing a Username
When creating a username, you can only use numbers and letters (uppercase and lowercase) – no symbols, weird characters or spaces. The username that you select will also become your shop name – so it’s important to give some thought as to how your URL will look. For example, a username of LeeTreasures will translate into http://LeeTreasures.etsy.com and http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeeTreasures.
After completing the basic registration for an Etsy account, you will need to upgrade to the status of seller. Clicking the “Sell” tab in the top gray navigation bar will direct you to the next step. Further instructions will appear. You are also prompted to enter the number of a valid credit card (or a debit card with a credit card logo).
Important Etsy Seller Information
- Etsy account holders must be at least 18 years of age.
- Etsy discourages sellers to have more than one account.
- Usernames cannot be changed with the exception of documented legal action, such as trademark infringement.
- You cannot use the word “Etsy” in your username without permission.
- The images or descriptions associated with your username, avatar, or public profile must not be offensive, such as displaying profanities or racist language.
- Ownership of your Etsy account cannot be transferred to another party.